Yellow tea is one of the lesser known tea types. Because of this, its varieties are often just designated by their type. However, just as with any other tea types, there are famous yellow tea varieties. These varieties have a long tradition and a fixed production process. Tea connoisseurs will look for them, when in need of a fine tea experience.
Of course, the name in itself is not a guaranty of superior quality. Nonetheless, for all of the varieties we will mention below, it is possible to find premium products. Certainly, you will find the very best products among them.
Depending on the size of the leaves used for their production, the varieties are further classified into three sub-categories. These sub-categories are “yellow buds tea”, “little yellow tea”, and “big yellow tea”. For all the mentioned varieties, we give you their Pinyin, Chinese and English names. Of course, we also indicate their place of production.
Famous yellow tea varieties
Yellow buds teas
- Huoshan Huangya (霍山黄牙): “Huoshan Yellow Buds” from Huo Mountain in Liu’an City, Anhui Province.
- Junshan Yinzhen (君山银针): “Jun Mountain Silver Needles” from Jun Mountain in Yueyang City, Hunan Province.
- Mengding Huangya (蒙顶黄牙): “Mengding Yellow Buds” from Mengding Mountain in Ya’an City, Sichuan Province.
Little yellow teas
- Pingyang Huangtang (平阳黄汤): “Pingyang Yellow Soup” from Chaoyang Mountain in Wenzhou City, Zhejiang Province.
- Weishan Maojian (沩山毛尖) “Wei Mountain Hairy Tips” from Wei Mountain in Changsha City, Hunan Province.
Big yellow teas
- Huoshan Huangdacha (霍山黄大茶) : “Huo Moutain Big Yellow Tea” from Huo Mountain in Liu’an City, Anhui Province.
Have you tried any of these varieties? Which one is your favourite?
The picture above shows Mengding Yellow Buds.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest news and offers by email.